I don’t function well if my house is messy so there are six things I try to do every day to stay ahead of the mess. I don’t always get all six things done but I try to get as many as possible with the help of my family.
You never know when company will show up so it’s nice to have a presentable house at all times. Not spotless but presentable. I work full time so having a spotless house all the time is not going to happen but I can keep it from getting too messy.
Below is a picture of my kitchen. Our black cat Lucy loves to hang out in there. She’s always under my feet when I’m cooking.
Six Things To Do Every Day For A Cleaner House
1. Make the bed. As soon as I get up in the morning I make the bed. It’s become a habit now and I don’t even think about it. I just do it. Just having the bed made makes the room look cleaner.
2. Clear and wipe kitchen counters and sink daily. As I’m cooking dinner I make sure to clean as I go and I put everything away as soon as I’m finished with it. I load the dishwasher and wipe the sinks clean.
3. Empty The Dishwasher In The Morning. Emptying the dishwasher keeps the sink clear of dirty dishes. If my dishwasher is empty I can load dirty dishes as we use them instead of putting them in the sink. This is my husbands job. I load the dishwasher and he always unloads it.
4. Straighten Up Before Bed. Simple things like putting away toys, magazines and books, hanging up clothes and putting dirty clothes in the hamper or laundry room before going to bed helps keep the clutter at bay.
5. Sort The Mail. I deal with the mail as soon as it comes in. I toss all junk mail and flyers. Open any bills that need to be paid and put them in the desk in the designated folder and I put any coupons I want to use in the coupon organizer. The added benefit of doing this is no more piles of mail lying around on the counters or getting misplaced.
6. Wipe bathroom surfaces. I keep my bathroom counter tops clear of clutter so it’s easy to wipe down the counters and sink so they stay clean. I put away the hair dryer as soon as I use it and keep all my makeup tucked away in makeup bag in bathroom drawer.
It takes consistency to avoid clutter. Having a daily routine helps to streamline the process and keep everything fairly organized.
What things do you do every day to help keep order in your home?